I have to admit that it took me a while to figure out how I wanted to style my hair. I used to have a ceasar for so long that at first my growing hair seems more like a bother than anything else. I went through letting it grow, to cutting it short again to now finally feeling comfortable with my own hair style. All this without the super talented Manhattan-ite groomer Marcos “Reggae” Smith. But unlike me, you can now read and try some of his best tips for men’s hair styles right here! and from looking at it, I am happy that I chose something that he thinks is a great tip – The comb-over!
1. The “Pompadour”
This hairstyle that was originally named after Madame de Pompadour, King Louis XV mistress, but was popularized in the 60s by Elvis Presley. The style is commonly worn with short sides, with the hair swept upwards and backwards.
• Hair is usually cut shorter on the sides with a fade leaving the hair anywhere from 3″or longer on top.
• Dampen the hair with water, then dry it a bit so that the hair isn’t dripping wet.
• Take a bit of the Axe Extreme Hold Gel and work it into your fingertips and apply it to the hair, working it thoroughly through the hair.
• Use a hair comb and hair blower to lift the front up then I flip it to the back to get a slick back look.
2. The “Curly Messy Look”
Curls add texture, dimension and personality to the hair. Wear it down in this casual and effortless style and use product that add definition and prevent hair from frizz.
• Hair could be anywhere from 2-4″ long all around the head.
• Dampen the hair dry it a bit with a towel while still keeping it wet.
• Then apply Axe Matte Gel thoroughly through the head reaching the root of the hair to create a messy look.
• Massage the gel throughout the head even squeezing some areas at times to work the curls.
3. The “Comb Over”
This timeless classic look has been a favorite of many men for decades, neatly combing the hair to the side starting from the hair part.
• This style consist of the hair being shorter on the sides than the top. On this cut the hair can be 2-3.”
• Dampen the hair and dry it so that it’s not dripping wet.
• Take an adequate amount of the Axe Styling Putty and work it through the hair.
• Take a hair comb and part the hair on the side with the part being visible and straight.
• Then take the comb and turn the hair to the side. As well as combing the side with the part downwards toward your ear, still keeping the hair part visible.
4. The “Cesar”
The Caesar haircut is a popular buzz cut and a favorite among many men due to its practical nature. The short length makes it easy to maintain and even easier to style.
• Hair should be very short and even all around, sort of a military cut (crew cut).
• Very low maintenance Latino men love this hair style because they can get up and go.
• This style also accentuates your facial features.
• Use a little a bit of the Axe Shine Pomade on this look to add shine and moisture to it.
About Marcos “Reggae” Smith
Marcos “Reggae” Smith works with numerous celebrities like Jason Derulo, Usher, Miguel, Knick’s player Carmelo Anthony and his work has been featured in various magazines including: GQ, L’Uomo Vogue, Vogue, Vibe, XXL, and the Source. Reggae became a Master Barber at the age of 18, at which time he was introduced to the entertainment business, and signed with his first agency. As Reggae’s reputation grew as a men’s groomer/stylist, he pursued his passion for editorial, print, and commercial work. He worked on numerous campaigns and then transitioned into working in music, sports and fashion.
Reggae’s work has also been showcased on BET, 106 & Park, MTV, VH1, Good Morning America, the Today Show and 300 Records.
Born and raised in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, Marcos is a self-taught, professional groomer. His passion for haircutting began at the age of 12, cutting the hair of friends and relatives. He also has years of barbershop experience where he’s honed his skills, technique and style. He continues to work at the local barbershop where he started years ago. A place that services the community, giving a message to the youth that with perseverance, passion for your work, and a dream, will open up endless possibilities.
#100PorCientoTu is a new campaign showcasing Latinos’ self-expression and individuality. Unilever is partnering with celebrity stylist Leonardo Rocco, celebrity groomer, Marcos Smith and international plus-size model and beauty influencer Denise Bidot and other notable influencers to keep Latinos a la moda and bring them the freshest beauty and grooming trends. This new campaign includes Unilever Personal Care brands for both, men and women.
Latinos are trendsetters, who believe that their personal style is their unique calling card. With #100PorCientoTu, Unilever is merging two Latino passion points – music and style – to inspire them to be their best selves, always.
#100PorcientoTu celebrates music as a source of inspiration for Latino’s style and self-expression by sponsoring Latin music concerts across the country, kicking off with an adrenaline-charged concert featuring Latin Grammy Award winning artist, Nicky Jam in New York City. Rock your best look and share your passion with #100PorCientoTu and check back for upcoming events.
Go to 100PorCientoTu.com to learn about the latest beauty and grooming trends and tips from our influencers and experts. Use #100PorCientoTu to ROCK your look and share your style.
Participating Unilever brands include: Dove, Suave, POND’s, TRESsemme, Caress, Degree and AXE