Cynthia Alvarez for Dove Hair on Dascha Polanco’s Windswept Curls with Hair Jewelry
“Dascha and I chose the look tonight to compliment her outfit. We wanted something modern and fun but not too over the top. The look we chose is a classic style with a twist personalized with the addition of some hair jewelry.”
- To start the look I used Dove Style+Care Volume Amplifier Mousse on her damp roots to add natural volume.
- I then parted her hair on the side (above the arch of her brow) and began twisting her hair towards the nape of her neck. I secured the end of the twist by criss-crossing two bobbypins.
- The rest of her hair was blow-dried using a big round brush, pin curling each section as I went along.
- Once all the hair was pin curled, I placed a few metal cuffs onto the twist to add a unique flair to her hair. I lightly sprayed the twist with Dove Style+Care Flexible Hold Hairspray to tame any flyaways.
- Next I removed the pins and ran my fingers through the curls to create a windswept effect and loosen up the waves. To set the look, I used Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray while lightly back-combing the roots. The final effect is a classic look personalized with jewelry and a little modern edge.
Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend on Hailee Steinfeld’s Textured Braids
“For Hailee Steinfeld’s VMA look, we decided to experiment and have fun. The Video Music Awards are the one event where there are no limits, so we really went for it in terms of texture!
- I started by applying Dove Curls Defining Mousse to her damp hair and rough dried it to keep as much of her natural texture as possible.
- Once her locks were fully dry, I went in and waved her hair using a Harry Josh flat iron to create bendy S waves.
- Once I got the texture right, I teased the roots and sprayed them with Dove Volume Dry Shampoo.
- I then pulled the front of her hair back in a loose “almost braid” on top and secured it with a Blax elastic.
- This is where it gets really fun! I went in and made random braids adding pieces of leather and velvet for a modern boho feel.
- In order to get the perfect beachy texture, I sprayed her ends with a combination of Ouai Wave Spray and Oribe Apres Beach. The result was a tousled, bohemian yet modern look. She felt beautiful and looked V.M.Azing!”
Renato Campora for Dove Hair on Ashley Graham’s Wet Waves
“After seeing Ashley’s dress for the VMAs, I knew I wanted to do something unexpected and beautiful to compliment the modern sexiness of her Naeem Khan dress. I sent Ashley a few sketches but this one was my favorite (hers too!) as we loved how effortless and chic it was. Plus, it’s the perfect way to stay cool on a humid New York night!”
Starting with wet hair, I applied a dollop of Dove Curls Defining Mousse from roots to ends.
- I massaged the mousse into her hair, and began scrunching and moving it around to really bring out her natural wave.
- I then applied Dove Regenerative Nourishment Serum-in-Oil all over to seal the cuticle and amp up the shine.
- Then the easy part – I let her sit and air dry while she got her makeup done!
- Right before she went out the door, and with her hair still damp, I sprayed a generous amount of Dove Extra Hold Hairspray to lock in the look!”