SOUTH MAIMI, FL – July 15, 2014 â€“ (HISPANICIZE WIRE) – Larkin Community Hospital (LCH) ranks as one of the best in the state of Florida and the nation in assuring patient safety according to findings by the Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program. The program, part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), evaluates the nation’s hospitals in an effort to reduce patient infections and other preventable conditions during hospital stays.
“The staff at Larkin Community Hospital strives to provide excellent and safe patient care at all times. We highly encourage patients to use the different websites available through Medicare to make informed decisions about where to go for healthcareâ€
Hospitals nationwide were ranked on a scale of one to ten with ten reflecting the worst performance against the three measurements. LCH received a score of 1.35 which is one of the lowest and thus, amongst the very best nationwide. The rankings were compiled from reports detailing the frequency of incidents related to infection, bedsores, fractures, and blood clots.
Sandy Sosa-Guerrero, CEO of Larkin Community Hospital said this achievement reflects the hospital’s commitment to education. “As one of the 12 Statutory Teaching Hospitals in the state of Florida and the largest teaching hospital in the country for Osteopathic physicians with 33 residency programs, we are focused on education, evidence-based medicine and quality of care. Our medical residents and nursing staff educate and empower patients to take control of their healthcare. Having the Larkin School of Nursing on campus allows us to train, attract and retain exceptional nursing talent. The staff at Larkin Community Hospital strives to provide excellent and safe patient care at all times. We highly encourage patients to use the different websites available through Medicare to make informed decisions about where to go for healthcare.â€
The rankings, part of the “pay for performance” program under ACA, will impact Medicare payments. Seven hospitals in South Florida are among the 31 hospitals statewide currently at risk of seeing a reduction in their Medicare payments because of the poor rankings they received based on the data collected in the evaluative program. A list all of Floridaâ€™s hospital rankings can be found at
About Larkin Community Hospital:
Larkin Community Hospital is one of 12 designated statutory teaching hospitals in Florida. We offer the largest number of training programs for Osteopathic Physicians in the United States (offering training in more than 30 different specialties). We sponsor an allopathic residency program in Psychiatry, an Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency Program, an American Society of Health System Pharmacists Accredited Pharmacy Residency Program and a Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency Program. In addition, our School of Nursing offers a Registered Nurse Associate Degree program and our College of Biomedical Sciences offers a Post-Baccalaureate Biomedical Sciences Degree program.
Our hospital is also the home of:
– The Miami Neuroscience Center at Larkin, a state of the art facility which specializes in Gamma Knife Radiosurgery. This 25-member team, led by world-renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Aizik Wolf, has performed over 8000 procedures during the past 20 years. Gamma Knife is a non-invasive state of the art neurological procedure used to treat brain tumors, head and neck cancer, and neurological conditions, such as trigeminal neuralgia and Arteriovenous Malformations.
– The Center for Advanced Orthopedics at Larkin, which specializes in advanced orthopedic surgery using the latest multimodal perioperative pain management modalities and state of art technology and instrumentation with advanced robotic technology. The center, led by world-renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Carlos Lavernia, includes an outcomes-oriented robust research component with an ongoing prospective surgical registry and a comprehensive rehabilitation department.
LCH is the only hospital in Miami-Dade County with an Area of Critical Need designation by the Florida Board of Medicine.
Our facilities are also a National Health Services Corps (NHSC) site designated by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the United States Department of Health and Human Services. The NHSC Loan Repayment Program offers primary care providers the opportunity to have their student loans repaid for serving communities in need. The NHSC Scholarship Program awards scholarships each year to students pursuing careers in primary care. In return, students commit to serving for two to four years, upon graduation and completion of training.
We are academically affiliated to Jackson Memorial Hospital and Holtz Childrenâ€™s Hospital, Miami, Florida; Miami Childrenâ€™s Hospital, Miami, Florida; Nationwide Childrenâ€™s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio; Nemours Childrenâ€™s Hospital, Orlando, Florida; Palmer Children’s Hospital, Orlando, Florida; West Penn Allegheny Health System Hospitals, Pittsburgh, PA; Borinquen Health Care Center, Miami, Florida; Miami Beach Community Health Center, Miami, Florida; Community Health of South Florida (CHI), Miami, Florida; Jessie Trice Health Community Health Center), Miami, Florida; Beraja Medical Institute, Miami, Florida; Vitas Hospice and Palliative Care System.
Here is a summary of our accredited Graduate Medical Education programs:
– AOA Accredited Family Medicine Program
– AOA Accredited Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine Integrated Program
– AOA Accredited Internal Medicine Program
– AOA Accredited Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Gastroenterology fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Infectious Disease Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Rheumatology Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Geriatric Medicine Fellowship (IM) Program
– AOA Accredited Allergy and Immunology Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Endocrinology Fellowship Program
– ACGME Accredited Psychiatry residency Program
– AOA Accredited Psychiatry Residency Program
– AOA Accredited Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Traditional Rotating Internship Program
– AOA Accredited Hospice and Palliative Care Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Dermatology residency Program
– AOA Accredited MOHS Micrographic Surgery Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Pediatric Dermatology Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Dermatopathology Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Neurology Residency Program
– AOA Accredited Ophthalmology Residency Program
– AOA accredited Radiology Residency Program
– AOA accredited Anesthesiology Residency Program
– AOA Accredited Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Program
– AOA Accredited General Surgery Residency Program
– AOA Accredited Orthopedics Residency Program
– AOA Accredited Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Sports Medicine Program
– AOA Accredited Addiction Medicine Fellowship Program
– AOA Accredited Geriatric Medicine Fellowship (FM) Program
For more information about Larkin Community Hospital, visit www.larkinhospital.com.