SACRAMENTO, CA â€“ April 30, 2015 â€“ (HISPANICIZE WIRE) –
A press conference hosted by the American Heart Association and the Latino Coalition For a Healthy California to support and endorse the passage of Assembly Bill 1357, which would impose a state-wide 2 cent per ounce fee on sugar-sweetened beverages to address the adverse health effects and economic burden over-consumption of these beverages place on our state.
Monday, May 4, 2015
11:00 to 11:30 am
Governorâ€™s Press Conference Room, State Capitol Building, Sacramento
Governors Press Conference Room 1190
The following are scheduled to participate in the press conference:
– Eric Batch, VP, Advocacy, American Heart Association
– Alice Benjamin, RN, Council of Black Nurses
– Xavier Morales, Latino Coalition For A Healthy California, Executive Director
– Rebecca L. Berner, Director, El Poder del Consumidor Assembly member Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica). Author, AB 1357
– Assemblymember Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood). Co-author, AB 1357
– Assemblymember David Chiu (D-San Francisco). Co-author, AB 1357
– Assemblymember Eduardo Garcia (D-Coachella). (Invited)
As health risks such as diabetes and obesity associated with drinking sugar- sweetened beverages become more acute and prevalent, the California state legislature has the opportunity to reverse this disturbing trend. On Tuesday, May 5, help reverse this alarming public health epidemic and initiate positive change. We strongly urge passage of a 2 cent per ounce fee on sugar-sweetened beverages.