- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, divided
- 4 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 6 pickled jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons house barbecue sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup cooked white long-grain rice
- 1 large egg white
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound poblano peppers
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shucked roasted corn
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cooking of burgers
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4-6 brioche or potato buns
- 8 slices Pepper Jack cheese
For the Black Bean Burger:
Set aside 1/2 cup black beans. In a food processor, pulse remaining black beans, mushrooms, shallots, jalapeño peppers, barbecue sauce, Tabasco Chipotle Sauce, ancho or chile powder and cumin until a chunky purée forms.
Transfer purée to a medium bowl and mix in oats, rice, egg white and reserved beans; season with salt and pepper.
Form mixture into patties about 1/2-inch-thick, cover and chill for 1 hour.
Heat a pan to medium-high; add a touch of olive oil and sear patties on both sides until crisp.
For the Rajas:
Preheat oven to 450°F or heat a broiler, charcoal grill to medium-high or gas grill to high.
For the oven or broiler, mix peppers, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl; place on a rimmed baking sheet. For a grill, oil grill grate and place peppers directly atop. Roast 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and charred. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 15 minutes. Peel peppers and slice in half; discard seeds and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch strips.
For the Corn Relish:
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and season with black pepper.
Toast buns on the grill or oven. Place patty on bun and top with cheese, roasted Rajas and Corn Relish. Serve with extra barbecue sauce.
Makes 4-6 servings