Crunchy Ham Taco with Guava Chutney, Pickled Onions and Queso Fresco
Created by chef Ingrid Hoffmann
Makes 6 servings
Pickled Onions (makes 2 1Å½2 cups)
1 1Å½2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1Å½2 cup cilantro leaves
1Å½4 cup white vinegar
1Å½4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Spicy Guava Chutney (makes 3 1Å½2 cups)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 red onion, chopped
1/3 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded, ribbed and finely chopped
2-inch piece gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 green apple, peeled, halved, cored, and cubed
1 (14oz) can guava shells in syrup, drained and chopped
12 yellow corn tortillas
4 cups Smithfield Spiral Hickory Smoked Ham, sliced in strips, divided
non-stick cooking spray (or 1/3 cup olive oil)
1 1Å½2 cups queso fresco, crumbled
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add vinegar and stir in raisins, onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and allspice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the onions and peppers are tender; approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add guava shells and apple and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit begins to break down and mixture thickens to a jam consistency; about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Refrigerate any leftover chutney in a tight sealed container for up to 1 week.
- Â Preheat oven to 375Â° F.
- Working in two batches.Â Wrap 2 tortillas in a damp paper towel.Â Microwave on high for 30 seconds to steam.
- Carefully spray each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray on each side.Â Â If using olive oil, lightly coat each tortilla side using a pastry brush.
- Drape tortillas over two bars of ovenâ€™s cooking rack and bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.Â Repeat with second batch of tortillas.
- To Serve:Â Heat a large sautÃ© pan over medium heat.Â Lightly pan fry ham strips for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to cook evenly.Â Fill each crunchy taco shell with 1/3 cup ham strips, 2-3 tablespoons chutney and 2-3 tablespoons onions.Â Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons queso fresco and enjoy.