Day of the Dead Sugar Skull Fruit Pizza
This Day of the Dead sugar skull fruit pizza or fruit cookie cake is the perfect sweet treat for any Halloween party. Loaded with fresh fruit and with a yogurt based cream cheese frosting it’s the kind of nutritious Halloween treat you want your kids to eat!
This fun treat was inspired by the sugar skull designs in the Nestlé® Pure Life® limited edition “Share-A-Scare™” Halloween water bottles.
Created by Paula Bendfeld, of Growing Up Bilingual
Total Time: 90 minutes
For Healthier Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Toppings For The Fruit Pizza
- kiwi, sliced
- pineapple, sliced
- ¼ cup low sugar apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Stir flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl beat butter, yogurt, and sugar with an electric until smooth.
- Add egg allowing it to blend into butter mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk it. Mix in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and press the dough into the pan to form a thin and even cookie dough crust.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cookie is still warm and soft cut out the shape of a skull.
- Let the cookie cool completely.
- In a medium bowl bring the cream cheese, yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla together and whisk until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Spread on the frosting evenly on the cookie.
- Get creative and use the fruit to make your own Day of the Dead sugar skull design.
- Mix together the apricot preserves and water and pass the mixture through a sieve to remove lumps.
- Brush the mixture carefully onto the fruit only to give it a shiny glaze.
- Chill your skull fruit cookie cake in the refrigerator until ready to eat.