1 cup jicama (about 1 small)
Â½ Â cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Â¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
Â¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
Â¼ cup red onion, diced
Â¼ cup fresh pineapple, small dice
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups pre-cooked white corn meal (such as Harina P.A.N. or Masarepa)
2 Â½ cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons corn oil
6 slices, Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Boneless Ham (sliced)
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Peel jicama using a vegetable peeler; discard peel. Grate using the largest holes on a box grater.
2. In a medium bowl, combine grated jicama with cilantro, bell peppers, onion, pineapple and garlic; stir in mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper to taste.Â Drizzle with lime juice and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
1. In a large bowl, combine corn meal, water and salt. Â Mix with hands until dough is smooth, malleable and unsticks from hands. With moist hands, form 6, 2-inch balls. Press each ball down between the palms of your hands to formÂ 6 patties approximately 1/2-inch thick and 4 Â½ -inches in diameter.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches of two, cook arepas until golden brown; about 6 minutes per side. Place in aÂ paper towel-lined plate until cool enough to handle.
3. Slice ham slices in 1-inch strips. Â Return pan used to cook arepas with to medium heat and sautÃ© ham slices for 2 minutes, turning them rapidly to evenlyÂ cook both sides.
4.To serve: With a serrated knife, slice each arepa, forming a pita-like pocket. Fill with 5-6 ham strips, 2 tablespoons cheese and Â½ cup pineapple-jicama slaw.Â Serve immediately.
Ingrid is passionate about food and entertaining and spends each day sharing her enthusiasm and talent with an international audience. She is the author ofÂ SIMPLY DELICIOSO: A Collection of Everyday Recipes with Recetas Favoritas con Sabor Latino and LATIN Dâ€™LITE : Delicious Latin Recipes with a Healthy Twist.Â As well as host of â€œSimply Deliciosoâ€ (Cooking Channel) and â€œDeliciosoâ€ (Univision).