What better way to honor Hispanic Heritage Month than enjoying the many flavors of Latin America?
From guava, passion fruit, lemons and limes, to spicy cayenne powder, the following Hispanic-inspired mocktail recipes created by the team at Cocktail Cartel, a group of Hispanic bartenders in South Florida known for their inventive drinks at popular hotspots, are representative of the diversity of Hispanic culture.
“These mocktail recipes are a fun, creative way to celebrate Hispanic culture,” stated Hector Acevedo, co-founder, Cocktail Cartel. “The Orange Clouds mocktail is an interpretation of the Cuban heritage that I’ve experienced living in Miami, while the Passionate Spirit mocktail is a nod to Mexican and Colombian influences.”
The two recipes are easy to make at home and share with friends, and offer a glimpse into the inspiration behind them. The recipes incorporate Red Bull’s Orange and Yellow Editions – providing the Wings of Red Bull with the flavors of tangerine and tropical fruits, respectively.
“Orange Clouds is a citrusy, refreshing and frothy drink, made with guava and inspired by Miami’s popular Cuban tradition of enjoying a cafecito with a guava pastelito.”
3/4 oz Heavy Cream
3/4 Guava Syrup*
1/2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1 oz Egg White
3 oz Red Bull Orange Edition
Red Bull Orange Long Ice Cube**
10 oz Jar Guava Marmalade
10 oz Sugar Syrup
4 oz Water
Pinch of Salt
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Once combined, strain.
- Store in refrigerator immediately.
** Red Bull Orange Long Ice Cube
- Pour Red Bull Orange Edition into ice cube molds.
- Freeze for 6-8 hours.
- Pour all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain ingredients over a Red Bull Orange Long Ice Cube.
- Top with Red Bull Orange Edition.
- Garnish with an orange peel and lavender sprig.
Ideal Serving Glass:
“The savory and spicy notes of this Passionate Spirit drink were inspired by Mexican cuisine and the sweetness of one of Colombia’s favorite fruit – passion fruit.”
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Nectar
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1 oz Agave Syrup*
4 oz Red Bull Yellow Edition
1 Dehydrated Grapefruit
3 or 4 Fresh Sage Sprigs
Spicy Salt Rim**
2 parts Agave
1 part Water
Pinch of Salt
- Place all ingredients on simmer over medium heat.
- Stir until the agave is absorbed.
- When cooled, store in refrigerator immediately.
**Spicy Salt Rim
1/4 cup Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Cayenne Powder
1 teaspoon Pink Peppercorn Powder
2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
- Place all ingredients in a one-liter container and cover with a lid.
- Shake or mix ingredients until completely combined.
- Store and in airtight container.
- Rim rocks glass with spicy salt. Set aside.
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker and pour in all ingredients; shake.
- Strain contents over fresh ice into prepared glass.
- Add Red Bull Yellow Edition.
- Garnish with dehydrated Grapefruit and Sage sprigs.
Ideal Serving Glass:
About Cocktail Cartel
Cocktail Cartel is a beverage consulting company founded by three Hispanic South Florida based mixologists: Manuel Picon, Eddie Fuentes, and Hector Acevedo, who share a dedication to the artistry, ritual, and history of the cocktail. The team has created innovative cocktail programs for The Fontainebleau’s various restaurants including, Scarpetta, Gotham Steak, Bleau Bar and Hakkassan, as well as collaborated with the area’s most lauded restaurants and lounges – FINKA Table & Tap, Broken Shaker, 27 Restaurant, Glass & Vine and Byblos, to name a few. www.CocktailCartelCo.com