Having won 11 world titles, how does it feel to represent the Hispanic community in your profession?
- Itâ€™s a great honor! Diving is a sport dominated by other countries and to represent and win titles on behalf of the Hispanic community shows our diversity and ability to excel in just about anything
How has yourÂ HispanicÂ heritageÂ helped you become the athlete and person that you areÂ today?
- It has to do with my familyâ€™s hard work ethic that is very embedded in our culture. Since I was young I learned that I had to work hard to achieve what I wanted and that
nothing was going to be handed to me. Â I apply this mindset to my training program and it keeps me motivated
Do you consider yourself a role model for young Hispanics?
- Yes, at least in my native Colombia. I had the opportunity to meet with a lot of young people there and they always share how inspiring my career has been to them. I think itâ€™s important for every community to have role models that serve as examples for young people
Whatâ€™s one piece of advice you could share with the next generation of Hispanics?
- Work hard, results donâ€™t come from taking the easy road. If you dream of accomplishing big things, then you should know itâ€™s going to be a bumpy road
How does Red Bull give you wings in cliff diving?Â
- Red Bull has given me wings from the beginning. We had a dream together and now we have a full World Series for cliff diving. Personally Red Bull helps me with mental acuity by making the connection between my body and my mind during the short time I spend in the air. Everything happens very fast and I have to make sure I make the right decisions
Do you have any upcomingÂ competitions that you are training for?
- Â Â Iam training forÂ the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series in Spain on September 26th (which can be viewed live onÂ www.redbullcliffdiving.com) .
Pack a Tropical PunchÂ
To help you celebrate all month long, Red BullÂ has partnered with esteemed L.A. mixologist, Aaron Melendrez, to concoct Hispanic themed mocktails that are perfect for each lively occasion.
Melendrez found himself in the kitchen from a young age, spending time learning the techniques andÂ recipesÂ of his Mexican-American grandmother and aunts. Years later, he focused his passion on gourmet cocktails whileÂ incorporatingÂ thoseÂ classic cooking techniques.
These festive beverages inspired by Hispanic flavors will give you the energy you need for any and every occasion!
We all remember the fruit guy on the corner on the hottest of days. Well this mocktail pays homage to him. Mango, Lime juice, Tajin, and Red Bull Yellow Edition with tropical notes, transform our favorite flavors of summer fruit into what is sure to be a Latin favorite. Yields 1 Drink.Â
4 oz Red Bull Yellow Edition
1 oz Mango PurÃ©e (perfect PurÃ©e)
3/4 oz Fresh Lime juice
1 oz Spicy Simple Syrup*
Lime Wheel for Garnish
*Spicy Simple Syrup Instructions: Bring 1 cup of water to boil, once boiling reduce heat and stir in 1 cup of sugar and 1 habanero pepper until sugar dissolved. After sugar has dissolved taste once every 5 minutes to achieve perfect amount of spice. Steep no longer then 20 minutes
- Take two small plates and put spicy simple syrup on one, and Tajin salt on the other plate.
- Dip rim of a Collins Glass in simple syrup then in Tajin salt to coat rim of glass.
- In a cocktail shaker add in mango purÃ©e, spicy simple syrup, a pinch of salt and 3 ice cubes.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Open cocktail shaker and add in Red Bull Yellow Edition into shaken mix.
- Pour drink into rimmed glass.
- Top with crushed ice and garnish with a lime wheel.