2015 TRIBECA DRIVE-INÂ®, FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR, TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY AND FAMILY SCREENINGS ANNOUNCED AS PART OF 14TH ANNUAL TRIBECA FILM FESTIVALÂ®
Drive-In Events to Feature CLUE, LADY AND THE TRAMP and A FASTER HORSE
The Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by AT&T, today announced the return of their signature free community events: the Tribeca Drive-In (April 16-18), Family Festival Street Fair (April 25), Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day (April 25), and Tribeca Family Screenings (April 19 and 25). This yearâ€™s Festival will also feature the return of the Tribeca Kids Access reporter program.
Three films celebrating special milestones will screen for free at the Tribeca Drive-In movie series on the waterfront plaza at Brookfield Place, co-sponsored by AT&T and hosted by Brookfield Place. The series will kick off on Thursday, April 16, with a 30th anniversary screening of Clue; followed by a 60th anniversary screening of the Disney classic, Lady and the Tramp on Friday, April 17; and will close on Saturday, April 18 with the premiere of A Faster Horse, a documentary that celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang.
The annual fun-filled Tribeca Family Festival Street Fair will unfold along Greenwich Street between Hubert Street and Chambers Street on Saturday, April 25 from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. The Street Fair will feature live Broadway performances, arts and crafts, food, games and activities, and much more. This year will also feature the return of signature experiences like the Tribeca Food Feast, the Games for Change Public Arcade featuring Zynga.org, and the Kidz Block Party, as well as a special screening of Back to the Future and a program of family-friendly short films.
The Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day Sponsored by Mohegan Sun will also return at this yearâ€™s Street Fair and bring â€œsports to the streetâ€ for its 9th annual event. Families and youth are invited to participate in activities from many of New York Cityâ€™s professional sports teams and leagues, along with many local youth athletic organizations. It is a full day of lively entertainment, giveaways, special guests and physical activities for youth of all ages.
â€œThe Tribeca Family Festival is the party of the year and a wonderful way to bring people of all ages together,â€ said Peter Downing, Creative Director and Producer, Tribeca Family Festival. â€œWe look forward to welcoming all for fun, food, music and sports in the heart of our community.â€
â€œWe have a long tradition at TFF of curating experiences that are accessible to all,â€ said Genna Terranova, Festival Director. â€œThis year is no exception with free and community-focused events that highlight what make downtown Manhattan special â€“ from outdoor screenings of beloved classics to sports and innovation.â€
TRIBECA DRIVE-IN OUTDOOR SCREENINGS
Thursday-Saturday, April 16-April 18
8:15 p.m.; doors open at 6 p.m.
Brookfield Place at the 230 Vesey Street
Co-sponsored by AT&T, hosted by Brookfield Place
TFFâ€™s outdoor screening series features three free evenings of cinema under the stars that are open to the public. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 6 p.m. The programs will also begin at 6 p.m., with screenings starting at dusk (approximately 8:15 p.m.). The following films will be featured at this yearâ€™s Tribeca Drive-In:
Clue â€“ Thursday, April 16
Directed by Jonathan Lynn. Six guests descend on a mysterious house, where the butler Wadsworth (Tim Curry) draws them into a murderous game of whodunit. Celebrate the 30th birthday of the beloved board game turned cult comedy classic, co-starring Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKean, and Martin Mull. Courtesy of Paramount.
Calling Colonel Mustard! Come dressed as your favorite Clue character for a chance to win prizes, or get dressed up in our Murder Mansion photo booth and bring the game to life. Get in on the action with board games, scavenger hunts, movie trivia, and more.
Lady and the Tramp â€“ Friday, April 17
Directed by Clyde Geronimi,Â Wilfred Jackson,Â Hamilton Luske. A family favorite for 60 years, this animated romance follows the uptown cocker spaniel Lady, who falls for a fast-talking mutt from the other side of the tracks. But an unfortunate trip to the pound leaves her wondering just what it is about that Tramp. Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures.
Thatâ€™s Amore! Bring the one you love to a romantic night on the waterfront, complete with accordion players, Italian love song sing-alongs, face-painting, photo booths, contests and a surprise appearance by one of the internetâ€™s most beloved dogs!
A Faster Horse â€“ Saturday, April 18
Directed by David Gelb, and written by Mark Monroe. (USA) â€“ World Premiere, Documentary. As the fiftieth anniversary of the Mustang approaches, Ford is launching a redesign, placing the jobs and expectations of thousands squarely on the shoulders of Chief Program Engineer Dave Pericak. Masterfully crafted by TFF alumnus David Gelb (Jiro Dreams of Sushi), A Faster Horse moves beyond a car loverâ€™s documentary to a resonant examination of American ingenuity, workmanship, and resilience.
Come early to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang with an all-American food & beverage celebration, interactive car-themed simulations, movie trivia and other great contests.
TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, April 25
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Greenwich Street (between Chambers Street and Hubert Street)
Lights, Camera, Family Festival!
Come downtown and spend the day in the Tribeca neighborhood with live Broadway performances, arts and crafts, games and activities, local restaurants and merchants, storytelling, free film screenings and so much more.
Dozens of family-friendly neighborhood restaurants and merchants will participate, along with schools and other organizations from the Tribeca community. There will be entertainment and special performances throughout the day on the street and on multiple Festival Stages, along with filmmaking workshops and presentations, storytelling and puppetry, cooking demos and tastings, sports activities and clinics, art displays, and character appearances.
- The Tribeca Studios Backlot will bring a neighborhood street to life with all of the classic elements of filmmaking on location in New York City: lights, cameras, and ACTION. Unlike the â€œclosed setâ€ status of most film location shoots, this experience is OPEN to all to learn, experience and enjoy the wide range of elements that go into creating a film production. 2015 event participants and partners include:
oÂ Â Â Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 â€œOn Locationâ€ Film Experience: Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 will be on site with a High End Star Trailer and a Hair and Make-Up Trailer (furnished by Haddadâ€™s and David Haddad); A Camera Car accompanied by Action Camera Carsâ€™ Ultimate Arm and E-Bike Electric Camera Motorcycle (furnished by Action Camera Cars and Owen Holland). Come down to the Tribeca Studios Backlot and experience what itâ€™s really like to work â€œOn Locationâ€ in New York City.
oÂ Â Â Using iPads and various media, the Animation Chefs help kids as young as Pre-K bring to life their creativity. Teaching young kids the entire process of making an animated film of their own, they have inspired thousands of young filmmakers to use mobile devices for productive, creative media projects.
oÂ Â Â Kids can visit The AUTOMATIC STUDIOS â€œPop Up Studioâ€ and experience working on a real movie set! They can go behind the scenes and operate camera equipment and lights or jump in front of the camera and fly through the air on our green screen!Â Ages 7 and Up
oÂ Â Â Tribeca VIP â€œRed Carpetâ€ Photo Op: Festivalgoers will be invited to walk the Tribeca Studios Backlot red carpet and pose next to Fathead Stand Outâ„¢ Cut Outs ofÂ famous entertainment personalities.
oÂ Â Â Create your own screenplay with Writopia, where published fiction writers and produced playwrights run fun, productive creative writing workshops for kids ages 2 to 21.
oÂ Â Â Meet AeroCine, New York’s only drone company, who flies Hollywood-grade cameras on custom designed & built multi-rotor heavy-lift UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles).Â
oÂ Â Â The Mayorâ€™s Office of Media & Entertainment (MOME) will be on location, celebrating the record-breaking number of episodic television programs and films shooting in NYC by inviting festivalgoers to have their picture taken in front of the â€œMade in NYâ€ step and repeat.Â Attendees will also be able to purchase official â€œMade in NYâ€ branded apparel which will be available on site.
- A lineup of New York City chefs will offer demonstrations and share cooking secrets and tastings at the Tribeca Food Feast Stage hosted by 60 Hudson. The show kitchen stage will be the featured centerpiece of the Tribeca Food Feast, an area at the Street Fair that will feature local restaurants and establishments along with select specialty food vendors from around the New York City area. Each chef will prepare and present a house specialty to a select number of audience members.
- The Games for Change Public Arcade supported byÂ Zynga.org, will take place on Jay St. (between Greenwich St. & Hudson St), a full city block of great games, both digital and physical. The G4C Arcade celebrates the positive power of play: these games areÂ not only fun, they are also ‘games for good’ â€“ designed for learning, health, and social impact.Â Among the games to play will be an educational version of the blockbuster hit game Words With Friends, and the NY premiere of The Go Game’s Zombies vs. Superheroes Disaster Preparedness Game where participants can learn practical survival skills whileÂ escaping â€˜zombies’.Â Other offerings include learning games from the SF-based Co.lab incubator, NA3M Games, Global Gaming Initiative and in G4C’s Indie Booth games from Elevator Productions, Lamplight Forest and American Universityâ€™s Games Lab.Â Â Live physical games from Come Out & Play will also be on hand. The G4C Arcade is part of the 12th annual Games for Change Festival, New York City’s largest gaming event.
- Professional talent, along with local school and community acts, are scheduled to perform throughout the day at different locations, including live â€œBroadway at Tribecaâ€ performances by the casts of WICKED, LES MISÃ‰RABLES, GIGI, IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU, KINKY BOOTS, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, DISENCHANTED!, FUERZA BRUTA, SOMETHING ROTTEN!, and ON THE TOWN.
- The Rockettes will be making a special appearance while taking a quick break from NEW YORK SPRING SPECTACULAR, which is running at Radio City Music Hall through May 3.
- Several middle-school and high school students from downtown schools will once again serve as TFF Hosts, facilitating all of the events, performances and activities at the Family Festival Street Fair.Â They will also introduce the various screening programs throughout the Family Festival.
- From stage performances, puppet shows and workshops to storytelling and a reading corner, the Kidz Block Party is the perfect place for the younger crowd to enjoy the Family Festival in a â€œkid friendlyâ€ space and place. â€œSoftâ€ play areas, face painting and a bubble garden are just a few of the fun adventures that await kids and parents on this historic block in the heart of Tribeca.
- The Gazillion Bubble Garden will have bubble wands of all shapes and sizes, and will offer bubble play to all who enter.
- Join puppeteer & author NOEL MACNEAL as he shows kids how paper can be a puppet (based on his books “10 MINUTE PUPPETS” & “BOX”) with cut-out and origami paper puppets. Then join Noel for his onstage workshop on puppeteering and learn the same techniques he and the performers of The Muppets use to bring felt and fleece to life!
- The CITYarts Mural project will take place this year on the north side of Chambers Street outside of Washington Market Park and BMCC. CITYarts volunteers will be painting all throughout the day to restore â€˜Alice on the Wallâ€™ Artwork damaged from Hurricane Sandy. Festivalgoers can pick up a paintbrush and join the restoration and creativity.
- Kids can explore their artistic side with arts & crafts activities including turning recycled materials into custom creatures with theÂ ScrapKinsÂ® team, street chalk art and face painting.
- Enjoy Arts & Crafts activities from the Childrenâ€™s Museum of the Arts and the Church Street School for Music and Art, which is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year in Tribeca.
- CHESS NYC will host â€œChess Play and Tipsâ€ and ongoing chess matches for all skill levels.
- Be sure to capture memories of the festival in a vintage photo booth! Children â€“ and adults â€“ are invited to have their face painted as well. Both are compliments of LÃ©man Manhattan Preparatory School.
- Santander Bank, N.A., the Official Bank of the Tribeca Film Festival, will be joining this yearâ€™s Family Festival festivities by providing fun activities and treats for film fans of all ages, so do not forget to pop into the Bankâ€™s red tent located on Greenwich Street.
- iHeartRadio will be onsite with music, giveaways and local station personalities bringing some fun and entertainment for all.
- NewYork-Presbyterian will offer Festivalgoers fun activities and lifestyle tips.
TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY
Saturday, April 25
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street)
Sponsored by Mohegan Sun
Tribeca and ESPN will once again bring â€œsports to the streetâ€ at the 9th annual Sports Day event. Families and youth are invited to participate and enjoy activities from many of New York Cityâ€™s professional sports teams and leagues, along with many local youth athletic organizations. It is a full day of lively entertainment, giveaways, special guests and physical activities for youth of all ages.
The Sports Day Stage will be â€œliveâ€ all day promoting Sports Day participants, special guests, interactive athletic experiences and more!
2015 participants include:
- Mohegan Sun will be entering guests for a chance to win various prizes through an interactive golf competition. Prizes will vary from an overnight stay in the luxurious Sky Hotel to dining certificates at the 30+ restaurants at the Connecticut property as well as sporting and concert tickets in Mohegan Sun Arena, ranked as one of the top arenas in the world.
- Join ESPN New York 98.7FM as they get ready for tailgate season with an interactive beanbag toss for all ages and give away great prizes.
- TheÂ New York Knicks, New York RangersÂ andÂ New York LibertyÂ will provide fans of all ages with a variety of interactive sports experiences, contests and giveaways. Fans will also be able to take special Knicks, Rangers, and Liberty-themed photos,Â enjoy games and clinics on aÂ Rangers rink, interact with the Libertyâ€™s mascot, Maddie, and meet Knicks and Liberty alumni on site.
- Test your QB accuracy with the New York Jets football toss and sign up for the free New York Jets Kids Club to enjoy one-of-a-kind experiences and events.
- Fans can join the Brooklyn Nets for interactive experiences, face painting and giveaways for all ages. Â Fans can also get autographs and dance tips from the Brooklynettes and the Brooklyn Nets Kids dance teams!
- Asphalt Green will be hosting the interactive Sports Day Kids Combine where kids can test their skills and agility in a â€œcombine styleâ€ athletic course. Encouraged by energetic Asphalt Green coaches, kids will enjoy jumping, throwing and getting active all throughout the course.
- At the Sports Day Draft Stage, festivalgoers will be â€œdraftedâ€ to their favorite local professional sports team and have the opportunity to pose for a photo with the Sports Day Commissioner as they hold up their new teamâ€™s jersey.
- FatheadÂ®, the leading brand of sports and entertainment graphics, will have life-size Fathead Stand Outâ„¢ Cut Outs of well-known professional athletes and entertainment characters on the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day red carpetfor sports fans to pose with and enjoy.
- Fencers Club Olympians and elite athletes will be on hand to teach kids the exciting and safe sport of fencing.
- The National Hockey League Foundation will offer great giveaways throughout the day.
- Learn to double dutch jump rope in a block party environment with experienced Brooklyn based Double Dutch Empire instructors. Â Open to all abilities and recommended for ages.
- Ping-pong players unite! Fans of all ages can test their skills against our SPiN ambassador in various challenges and games. Return a serve from our Swedish National Table Tennis Champion and you could walk away with some sweet SPiN swag!
- Hidden Gems Archery, New Yorkâ€™s premier mobile archery academy, will be onsite helping festivalgoers learn about archery education, competition, and, most importantly, building a community around a great sport!
- Come play a variety of disc games with DiscNY as they teach you the basics of throwing and test your accuracy.
- New York Womenâ€™s Baseball will run pitching and throwing clinics.
- Super Duper Tennis brings USTA 10 and under kid-sized tennis to the streets of Tribeca – demonstrating that kids can learn the FUNdamentals of the lifelong game of tennis anywhere and everywhere!
- Join the Golf Club at Chelsea Piers for their interactive Golf Hitting Bubble to perfect your swing, get playing tips from top PGA/LPGA teaching professionals and enter to win great raffle prizes – All ages welcome!
- The NY Rumble, a professional Ultimate Frisbee Team, will be holding contests for free merchandise and tickets, as well as teaching about the fastest growing sport in the country: Ultimate Frisbee.
- Super Soccer Stars will conduct free soccer classes throughout the day. Dynamic, international coaches will work with children to develop skills, self-confidence, and teamwork in a fun, engaging environment.
- Make It Fun NYC will be on hand to show how to make jump rope and exercise, more fun and exciting for everyone looking to live a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Visit New York Empire Baseball and learn how to throw a baseball harder and healthier than ever before! Â Warmup like a pro ballplayer and then compete in our pitching accuracy and speed competition for great baseball prizes!
- Join Downtown United Soccer Club (DUSC) for a fun and interactive soccer experience including soccer tennis, street soccer and juggling contestsâ€¦You got game?
- The Public Schools Athletic League joins Sports Day with a team that is eager to introduce the world to its badminton and an all-female flag football programs.
- PowerPlay NYC, a group that creates opportunities for girls in sports, health, and education, will be out with their female coaches playing sports with the crowd and celebrating girl power!
- NYC is surrounded by water – so come try rowing withÂ Row New York! We transform the lives of New Yorkers, regardless of ability, through training in rowing joined with academic support. We’ll have ergs at the ready!
- The National Lacrosse League will host a fun, inflatable lacrosse activity.
- Come and meet some of the 2012 National Championship players from the NJ Titans. Â Fans can also join theÂ NJ TitansÂ in learning some of the basic skills of ARENA football as they put you through the test of fun and exciting drills.
- Swing by to see the Staten Island Yankees, Single-A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, and meet their mascot Scooter the Holy Cow. Â While youâ€™re there try your luck on the Baby Bombers skee ball inflatable.
BACK TO THE FUTURE
Saturday, April 25
BMCC/Tribeca Performing Arts Center (199 Chambers Street)
From the Academy AwardÂ®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis comes Back to the Future – the original, groundbreaking adventure that sparked one of the most successful trilogies ever! Starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, the phenomenally popular Back to the Future is an unrivaled adventure that stands the test of time.Â Join us for a FREE screening and pre-show program featuring a sneak peek at the upcoming documentary â€œBack In Time.â€
Note: Admission is FREE on a first-come, first-served basis. Lines at BMCC begin 30 minutes prior to the start of the program
Manhattan Youth Presents
Saturday, April 25
Tribeca Film Center (375 Greenwich Street)
Recommended for ages 12 and up
In partnership with Manhattan Youth, the Family Festival will present several â€œshort programâ€ screenings to celebrate filmmaking and creative expression for audiences of all ages to enjoy. These free screenings will take place throughout the day in the Screening Room at the Tribeca Film Center.
DOWNTOWN YOUTH BEHIND THE CAMERA
Sunday, April 19
SVA Theatre (333 West 23rd Street)
The Tribeca Family Festival will once again present â€œDowntown Youth Behind The Camera,â€ a program of short films made by elementary and middle school emerging student filmmakers from the downtown communities of New York City.Â Guest speaker, Academy and Emmy Award winning documentary filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy will be interacting with the young filmmakers and sharing advice. This year marks the 12th anniversary of this popular program.
TRIBECA KIDS ACCESS
The Tribeca Kids Access Student Reporters are a diverse group of smart, articulate kids (ages 10-14) from Tribeca and other downtown schools who will cover this yearâ€™s Tribeca Film Festival, from red-carpet premieres and panel discussions to all of the action at the Street Fair. Talented high-school filmmaking students from the Frank Sinatra School of the Arts will be the on-site camera and editing crew.
From Red Carpet premieres and panel discussions, to all of the action at the Family Festival Street Fair, the content generated by this passionate and enthusiastic team will appear in the Family Festival section on thetribecafilm.com/family website.
About the Tribeca Film Festival
The Tribeca Film Festival helps filmmakers reach the broadest possible audience, enabling the international film community and general public to experience the power of cinema. It is well known for being a diverse international film festival that supports emerging and established directors.
Founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff in 2001, following the attacks on the World Trade Center, to spur the economic and cultural revitalization of the lower Manhattan district through an annual celebration of film, music and culture, the Festival brings the industry and community together around storytelling.
The Tribeca Film Festival has screened more than 1,600 films from more than 80 countries since its first edition in 2002. Since inception, it has attracted an international audience of more than 4.9 million attendees, and has generated an estimated $900 million in economic activity for New York City.
About the 2015 Festival Sponsors
As Presenting Sponsor of the Tribeca Film Festival, AT&T is committed to supporting the Festival and the art of filmmaking through access and innovation, aiming to make this the most interactive film festival in the country, where visitors experience the Festival in ways they never imagined.
The Tribeca Film Festival is pleased to announce its Signature Sponsors: Accenture, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, American Express, Bloomberg, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin, Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), Brookfield Place, ESPN, IWC Schaffhausen, The Lincoln Motor Company, NBC 4 New York, NCM Media Networks, The New York Times, Santander, United Airlines, and VDKAÂ® 6100. The Festival welcomes new Signature Sponsor Spring Studios and Thompson Hotels.